james - miami, Florida
Themes: family, setbacks

My name is Papo, and this is what I believe. I believe that some experiences in life, people should not know about those experiences. I come from a good family, a family that works hard, for what they have. I remember there were times in life, that self-sacrifice was just a part of every day life for my family and myself. I remember times where on the way back from watching the space shuttle launch, that between my dad and I we had 88 cents to our name and my dad went without eating food so I could have a cheeseburger. Or my uncle told me why my aunt gave him insulin shots, the response was she keeps me alive. It was years later, after he passed away, that I understood every part of that saying and how it wass also vice-versa. I remember my mom telling me I have to live with my dad, because she cannot afford to have me anymore due to reganomics, loans and law school. I remember being 13 looking for a job to support my mom,dying due to lack of sleep, diet, and exercise, in law school. How would I support my mom, 2 dogs and a cat, and me at 13, when no one will hire me. I needed to work, to put food on the table. I remember how bad it felt that no one would give me a job, and me coming home to ma being sick still struggling to finish her law school reading. I remember powered milk, and being teased about not having regular milk, I would rather have that than no milk at all. I remember having 12 cents to my name after buying clothes for school and then a week later having a growth spurt to where I didn’t fit them anymore. I remember working and sneaking money into my mom’s drawer and saying I love you every night after coming in late and my mom being dead asleep. I remember my dad crying when I left to go live up north and how bad that hurt me inside and me crying on the way up there, and not letting anyone know why, because it hurt me to laeve my dad, because I love him so. Why am I opening up? Because I heard how much it means to have a family, but the pain of heartache sometimes others should know, but I believe tha some experiences in life others should not know. We all have our story, it is just more than a story to tell.