KenHou - Taipei, Taiwan

I’m 23 years old and maybe too unsophisticated to share what I believe. But for some reasons, I decide to voice it out.

I believe in Commitment to People.

The first time I noticed the word “Commitment” was in a course entitled Social Network. The professor repeated it again and again to emphasize his perspective on academic career, but at that time, I did not really figure out what it means. With this dim impression, I graduated from university and became a civilian serviceman to complete my obligation as a citizen, and this obligation offers me the opportunity to learn the true meaning of this word.

As a civilian serviceman, my tasks are all about marginalized people. My fellows and I visit those elderly citizens who live in solitude, take and record their blood pressure, listen to their personal story about daily life, family history and war. Most of these elders are veterans, whose families were shattered by a series of wars of last century. They almost forgot what glory and hatred mean. Only a sense of being abandoned hovers around them.

We also visit those foreign spouses who immigrated from Southeast Asia, help them fill out questionnaires written in Chinese, then try to depict their plights by analyzing quantitative data. We cannot make sure whether the result of our investigation will help the government improve their livings, but at least our actions let these uprooted women know that some people care about them.

Through these experiences, I gain my belief. I believe in Commitment. It is kind of embarrassing to claim so since there’re already many people devoting their lives to help each others. But I am still trying to voice it loud, because being committed to people is significant to all detached youngsters like me, who feel restless while they encounter this hard-boiled world. With this belief, I am no longer victim of alienation. With this belief, I can alleviate the despair besieging us. By commitment to people, I can leave my cynical bomb shelter, my cell of endless loneliness, for breathing the fresh air.

I’m not propagating the dogma that the society is above individuals or reproducing any cliché like that. Commitment to people should be a personal choice. Only in this way, commitment shows its nature. I commit myself not because of pressure from others but inner pressure for others, and meanwhile, it leads me to the peace of being a passenger of the world.