Anahita - Brookfield, Wisconsin

Today’s world is packed with ACTs, SATs, scholars, analysts that tell you what your limitations are based on statistics, tests, and genetics. I believe it is a load of crap. I believe no one, not even yourself, knows your own capabilities until you are tested. I am Indian, but was born in Scotland, raised in Oman, and moved to America at the age of 12. A little Indian girl with no clue living in Brookfield, WI wondering whom the hell the “Packers” were and what exactly they “packed” in this Green Bay that made them so great? I went through middle school like every other weird teenager in pink pants with a weird haircut and accepted my space at the reject table without a fuss. After all, my lunch box always spelt like curry. My teachers in their attempts to “analyze” my capabilities decided the fact that I did not know the rules of American baseball translated directly to the fact that I could never learn baseball or run, for that matter, and ,assigned me to the “special education” gym class. They said I was no sportswomen, they said I was not an athlete. My genetics and my mile time said so. “Number don’t lie,” they said, “just accept it, blame your genetics and sit down.” So then I went to high school, still the little Indian girl who was expected to become a doctor, be good at math, and maybe run track. But I did not fit this mold so I did what any little girl would do. I got out a few books from the library, learned the game, and went out for the all male freshman football team. I was so used to hearing sneers so nothing got to me except one statement, “she will never make it.” I guess that was their analysis, but God knows they were wrong. I hit the weight room and hit the guys. I ran, sweat, and bleed just like they did. I was the crash dummy for the varsity team and it paid off. I was a runningback for the full four years of my high school career. As a junior I was selected as a team captain and got the final touchdown in my homecoming game. They gave me the game ball…because I cried and scared my coaches. As a senior, our undefeated team went to state and I became the first girl to play in a state championship football game.

Now I am an athlete and a confident woman. I owe my coaches everything, they never analyzed my numbers, only my heart. I believe the size of one’s heart is the only thing that can be used as a tool for analysis of persons capabilities.

Overall, I ending up sucking at math and I never did run track…I will, however, be graduating from medical school in 3 years and will become the doctor the genetics said I should be.