Donald - Annapolis, Maryland

July 16, 2006

I believe that Diversity is The Glory of God, and that the Diversity we have accepted in The United States of America, is the fundamental factor, above all others, which makes the American economy the driving force of the World economy. Americans regularly strengthen our economy by adopting every good idea from the best and the brightest of all societies (they export their brains to the USA), and, over time, we pound all bad ideas out of the system. When I travel in Saudi Arabia, I work in a hospital that has 4 Starbuck’s cafes within the building. That is an example of a good idea, which the World has accepted. Slavery was a bad idea. It took 250 years to get rid of it, but with great sacrifice, Americans eliminated it, and made our country stronger.

I believe in compassion, tempered by wisdom. When I find a centipede in my house, I normally help it to walk onto a piece of paper, and then deliver it to the outside of my house. BUT, last winter my mother was overwhelmed in her home by field mice, which were getting into all foodstuffs in the house. It was not possible to help them out of the house. Indeed, my sister had attempted to use “live traps,” which allowed the trapping and removing of the field mice, without killing them. Unfortunately, they continuously found their way back into the house, creating a health hazard. I went to the hardware store and bought 10 mouse traps, the deadly kind. I killed 18 mice in 2 days, thereby restoring normal standards of human existence to my mother’s home.

I believe Hezbollah is a criminal organization. In 1983, they murdered 241 United States Marines and Sailors, who were on a peacekeeping mission, trying to help the keep the Beirut Airport open for commerce. In 1988, they murdered Lt. Col. Rich Higgins, who was a UN peacekeeper. I favor finding a way for its members to live in Lebanon in peace, as concerned citizens, working to build their country to match its ancient glory. But, if they cannot live in peace with their neighbors, I favor mousetraps.

I believe that politicians in many countries impoverish their people, by failing to open their eyes to what works and what does not work economically, and the results for the standards of living of their people prove my point. One of my favorite pet peeves is the idea that there must be 51% or greater local ownership of an investment, in order to accept investment from abroad. This discourages investment from abroad! Why would a company invest all of its intellectual capital and money into an operation from which it can take only 49% percent of the profits, or less. Why should Americans take their know how to developing countries, under such restraints?