Safa - Montgomery, Alabama

Finding Peace in Our Inner Self

I believe in finding peace in our inner self. I have been excited about different things happening in my life so much that every time I promise myself that the next time will be different from a previous excitement. When I fell in love for the second time, I thought that was just so different from the first time. This is going to save me, I reflected. I told myself tall tales as if the second time over is really unique. When I was expecting my daughter, I congratulated myself on approaching my freedom. Again, there was a voice telling me that “yes dear, this is different. It is going to rescue you.” Once I tried so hard to get a degree by finally making it to the finish line, I just thought that “yes, I have made it at last, and this is what I was waiting for to happen.”

Almost every day, we run into examples of achievements, accomplishments as well as episodes of failures, frustrations and disappointments. Sometimes we pat ourselves for the former categories and blame both ourselves and others for the latter ones. As soon as the exuberance of those victories wears off, we dwell in other things hoping that future gains would lead us to what we have desperately sought and not yet accomplished. We think of our failures as hurdles to our peace and freedom. While we never ponder that instead of searching for peace in the outside world, we need to grope it in our inner self.

Too often, people celebrate the joy of moving to a multi-million dollar mansion, cruising the Pacific on board of a famous gargantuan European ship, and wedding an angelically-beautiful girl while hoping that each instance would set them free, free of running after other things in life.

The human ignorance of his own self is the gravest obstacle to his inner world, a world whose doors are not opened by our this-worldly keys. We wishfully desire to find our master key one day mistakenly by obtaining this object, assuming that position, possessing our astronomically expensive dream house and undergoing a successful liposuction weighing 100 pounds lighter. And then, it will be there: happiness, freedom, and most important of all: “our peace of mind.”

We play and replay this scenario so many times yet every time we get tempted to try it again to probably reach that far-fetched island of inner peace that most often than none few would ever reach its shores.

Little do we realize how a moment of reflection can lead us to the coast line of inner peace. Thus I believe in finding peace in our inner world, and if this could be achieved through succeeding and failing, then I will embrace both wholeheartedly.