Anne - Chesapeak, Virginia
Themes: carpe diem

Stop and Smell the Roses

“You should have that piece of chocolate cake…You should buy that new Coach bag in the window…You should take that trip to Las Vegas and go gambling while you’re there…After all, you only live once.”

I believe that you only live once. There are numerous new and exciting events happening in our lives everyday. We’re so eager to pass them up usually because of time or money. But maybe we should make more time for those kinds of things because you only live once. We should plan activities that are more beneficial to our minds and bodies, health-wise, rather than just trying to get by. You know, buying food, paying the bills, being so rushed in those everyday worries. We should look at life differently than just a period of trying to survive. We should look at it more as an opportunity to meet incredible people and go to extraordinary places, rather than just work and work and work, go to college, only to work more.

People should never take their jobs home with them. Life is what we make it and I think we should always take the opportunity to be more involved with friends, family, and those we wish we were closer to. You’ve got to seek those opportunities when they arise. Many people forget that we only live once. People fill their lives with the simple responsibilities of paying the mortgage, the insurance, and putting food on the table. However, there must be time for that weekend trip, that family picnic, or that trip to the beach. I’m not saying ignore the everyday jobs of life, but rather to take time for yourself. I mean something more therapeutic. What matters most is the little things. Things like reading a book or watching a movie. When was the last time you stayed home to watch a movie? Or read a book from end to end? Or went out and planted a flower? It’s small things that are so stress-relieving. We get so caught up with the fast pace of life, that we forget that we’re only here once and we should make life worth while