Lois - Northfield, Minnesota
Themes: humility

My name is Lois and I’m an alcoholic and I believe in the spirit and value of anonimity. Before I sobered up 15 years ago I wanted to make sure that my contributions were noticed. There were several problems with this approach; I contributed very little and when I did, the recognition I recieved was never of the right kind or the praise was alwys tinged with ghosts of my imagination.

Anonimity for me means the freedom to live by principals, not expected recognition. When I operate on expected recognition my actions and words are always couched to acheive some end of my own creation.

Not expecting or wanting recognition allows me the freedom to live without fear of failure. I just do my best and move on. Functioning in the realm of anonymity helps me live with fewer resentments and more compassion.

So, in closing, if you chose to read my quickly written essay you’ll need to have someone else read it as my ego and anonymity would be in danger if I were to read it myself. And, you may not use my full name, only my first name. I guess anonymity does require cooperation by others, in this case by NPR. If this can’t be honored, that’s OK by me. Not having my essay read is a small price to pay for the benefits of living anonymously at the level of press, radio and film. And, I reminded myself once again of the life-saving value of taking the action without expecting anything in return.

It’s a great world I live in, quietly manuevering along, fully engaged and just one tiny but important part of humanity.