Themes: family, legacy

I believe in the worth of man. I was raised on a farm and the work was from dawn to dusk, or later. My father instilled in me the knowledge of giving a full day of work for a full day of pay. He taught me how to care, how to love everything as a gift from God. My family was not church going but he made sure we always went. There isn’t any value that could be put on what he showed and lived in front of me. As he got older he moved to a city, but took jobs of more physical nature. I had married and started my own family. We had disagreements in my growing up but yet there are so many times of joy unspeakable I could never tell. He fought heart problems and lung cancer and yet kept on, not complaining about anything. He lost his parents and all of his siblings. He lost my mother and was alone much of the time. He remarried and we became friends. We were able to take him on trips he never thought possible and to see things he only dreamed about. At age 86 he was diagnosed with liver cancer with a sentence of 1-6 months. It came swift and fast and he was no longer able to get out. He never complained about anything, even as the pain and cancer ravaged his body. I was able to spend some time with him and we rejoiced in the time together as he again reminded me that if a man is going to pay you for your labor, then be sure you work for it. Don’t say you will work, and not do it if you were going to be paid.

I was drafted into the army, but there I did my job. It was not always pleasant. I received orders to go to Vietnam but then the orders were changed. I was to stay stateside in my same job. I did not know at the time but there were so many transfer’s that my sergeant did not want me to leave. I was shown that if you are going to get paid for a job, make sure you give a good day of work. Even if it was from Uncle Sam.

He was not a successful man if you measure in earthly possessions. But he was the greatest man that ever lived in my eyes. He truly taught me the value of a man.