Kylie - Issaquah, Washington
Themes: courage

When I was seven years old I was spending the night at my grandparents house, while my parents were out shopping for Christmas presents for me and my brother. At the time my uncle was living with them. Now my uncle was an evil son of a gun! He had been in and out of jail from a very young age. He had stolen money from me when I was younger, but that night he stole something thing that was worth more then money, something that was irreplaceable.

Once everyone had fallen asleep he crept across the hallway, came into my room and raped me. Being the young child that I was I did not know what was going on. I was raised to obey those older then me so when told not to tell anyone, I did just that, not a soul knew what happened that late night. In fact after some time had passed I myself wasn’t that sure it had happened. It was like that time of my life was blocked out. It didn’t bother me at all, for the longest time it was something that had just “happened.”

About a year ago I was listening to one of my church leaders share her testimony. She told of how her grandfather had raped her numerous times. As I sat listening to her moving story; the flood gates opened. I broke down and cried as I remembered all the details of what happened to me as a child. A good friend of mine saw me and took me outside and for the first time I shared what my uncle had done. With the help of my friends and the healing of the Lord I started to mend the hurt that it had caused me. I was never able to fully heal until one day before school. I did the hardest thing I thought I would eve have to do, I told my mom. We cried and talked about it. That day I showed up to school with puffy eyes and a healed soul.

After time I have grown to understand that bad things happen to everyone both good and bad. Its how a person deals with those situations that make that person who they are. Life is hard, but it’s that way so when bad things happen you can smile and yell “World! is that all you got?” I believe I am strong, and full of perseverance! The only reason I am this way is because of what had happened, and now i can help heal those others who are hurting cause I know that hurt.