Marybeth - Floral Park, New York

Every time I pick up my trumpet, something magical happens. My body begins to burn and my mind goes into a brand new zone. Everything seems clearer, brighter, and different. Every time I pick up my trumpet, everything is all right in my life, even if it is just for a second. Music in my life has been an outlet, a haven. Growing up, my life was full of hatred and sorrow. I was different from my peers, all because of who I was, for who I loved. I was thrown down constantly, beaten and called horrible names. Music was my only relief where no one judged me on who I was or what I looked like. Allowing my body to be controlled by my trumpet and my music allowed me to find peace in a chaotic world.

Once in high school, I began to learn the way of improvisation, a new method of expressing my emotions and channeling my power into something beautiful. I started to feel the power of music coursing through my body; completely shutting down my brain and allowing my soul create music.

Music is still my escape from life. There is many a day when I come home from work late at night or school late in the afternoon and I push aside the work I’m supposed to be doing and just play for hours on end. It’s not just for practice, it’s a way for me to relax and gain control of my life. Most musicians don’t see the player or care about the personal lifestyle of the player, most of the time all they can hear is the beauty of the music. That music can express a journey, a struggle, a sorrow, a happy moment, it could mean anything.

Growing up in a homophobic town where I was constantly targeted for it, music became my only true friend. It has reaped me many benefits in my 4 years of high school, allowing me to be acknowledge for my talent instead of my label. I believe there is comfort and peace in music.