Joseph - Floyd, Virginia

If I were twenty years younger I would leave the United States for a smaller, English spdeaking country. I believe it is the size of the United States that makes for the mischief we are all experiencing. Our Government is out of control of the people who should be controlling it and there is no fix readily desernable.

It is July 3rd. and I am at work in a medical clinic waiting for the next patient to see. I suspect it is the mood of the Holiday that has me reflecting on how the U.S. came into being.

There can be no doubt that George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and a host of others gambled with their lives and fortunes to start our Democracy. They could not have done so for the hope of reaping great wealth or power. Many of the signers of the Decleration of Independence were more wealthy than their friends and neighbors and the prospect was more that they would loose their wealth than gain more with a Revolutionary War. These men acted out of principle. These principles were encorporated into law which is still used as a basis for final decisions by our highest court. Generations have declared these principles valid!

You tell me who you see acting out of principle at any level of national politics. I know of no one fitting that description. Our democratic system has evolved so that only loyality to a political party allows one to serve in public life. Loyality to any principle that goes against the Party line will result in nothing positive. But the blame is entirely on the shoulders of you and me who let this happen. If we do not reward principle and only give into political showmanship then we cannot expect any change.

The closest thing to modern day acting out of principle was the recent gift by Warren Buffet of 30 billion dollars to the (….) & Bill Gates Foundation. This noteworthy event is one of the greatest gestures in modern history but has enjoyed less media coverage than the World Cup championship. I bring this up, here, as another emphasis of how our values have deteriorated since the early days of American dawning. Only what is in today’s news is deemed important.

People in the newsmedia can help. Please emphasize those things that are important. Is it possible that the news media has the same problem as public officials–if your reporting does not fit the expectations of the political Party in power you can expect nothing positive from your reporting?

Here is the fix:–for the next three national elections we need to elect ONLY THOSE WHO ARE NOT NOW IN POWER. ANYONE WHO IS AN INCUMBANT NEEDS TO BE THROWN OUT.

Some potentially good people will suffer, but as they say in any war, “Collateral damage can be expected and has to be accepted as a necessary part of the process”.

Once we teach the political system that “We the people..” are really who is in power we can hope for a change. This is the only peaceful way of effecting change before the deterioration of our values has grown so low that our Democracy is doomed. It is not too late. Remember: for the next 3 national elections, “Throw the bums out”.