Justin - Topeka, Kansas
Themes: respect

Neverland (not the ranch)

There are some items in the world that get better with age. Antiques and fine wines are collected everywhere, because their maturity makes their values increase. On the other hand, how many people collect senior citizens? The fact that we all die at some time or another has been around since the beginning of mankind. As time goes away, so does our muscles, bones, and brains, so we should all try and stay as young as we can.

We haven’t discovered a way to stop the flowing sands of time, so there is not a way that humans can literally stay young forever. However, one thing we can do is stay healthy. A lot of our elderly have health problems like, bone loss, arthritis, and bad backs, so it’s important for us to keep our bodies young and in shape. My parents and many of my friends’ parents have a habit of taking naps after work. Getting more than the recommended eight hours of sleep is partly responsible for obesity, which shortens life spans. Instead of sleeping in on weekends, a person should exercise their bodies instead, keeping themselves healthy and young, as well as prolonging their life span.

Have you ever wondered why old people are “wise” and young people are “smart”? As we get older, our brains also deteriorate. People who are youthful can remember a wide variety of things that they have learned, but the elderly can only remember things that have been useful in their lives. Surely, I, having just graduated from high school, can tell you how to find the volume of the area inside of three equations rotated around an axis of x = 7, but my grandpa could tell you that you should never get married and have a live at home girlfriend instead. Even though the elderly are a spring of wisdom, wouldn’t it be better if the elderly were smart aswell as wise?

Aging takes its toll on us, even though most of the problems are our own fault. There are a lot of little things we can do to improve our aging lives, and I hope they are worth it. I never want to feel the aches and pains of old age, that’s why I believe that we should try to stay young for as long as we can.