Daniel - Oskaloosa, Kansas

“I Believe in Best Friends”

When I think of people I know, I put them into two different groups. They are either and acquaintance or a friend. Acquaintances to me are the people who I’m nice to when I see them, and I might hang-out with them once in a while, but I never really expose myself to them. A true friend is the person that I confide in, and share everything with almost as if they a are family, but maybe share a little more. Everybody knows what family don’t know won’t hurt them. The way I was raised your always nice to every one until they aren’t nice to you. It is about your judge of character, because I believe that you should never judge by first impressions always base a person on their character. Although most of my true friends I have known all my life I do have acquaintances that have become good friends.

Acquaintances are a type of friend in that you know them, talk to them, and you hang-out with them every once in a while. The negative side to acquaintances is that they come and go so fast. There are times when you will converse with your acquaintances often, and then there are times when it is very scarce. The problem with that is if you grow attached to that person, and they move away then that’s like loosing a pet or something similar.

A true friend is an awesome thing to have, and it is something to be cherished, and never forgotten. It is someone who will listen to you in your time of need, and then pick you up when you fall. They stand by your side no matter what the odds, and if the odds happen to overwhelm you then they take the fall with you. Friends make sacrifices for friends. My dad, I don’t think has had a good friend for a long time, and he was really hard on me for sacrificing myself for my best friend. When I explained to him what I did and what happened he got angry. We sat down and had a discussion about the problem, and I said some really harsh things that maybe I didn’t need to say. When it was all said and done he said that I was very wise and a better man than he was for what I did. He did tell me that he was sorry, and that he understood my love for my best friend.

I believe that a friend is all of what I’ve described; honest, faithful, good character, and all the other stuff. I can honestly say that I would be willing to put my life in deaths way for my best friend and I hope that he would do the same for me.