Audri - Perry, Kansas

Disappearing Values

I believe that values in our world today are disappearing. Young people all over the world no longer have the morals that their grandparents possessed. Our grandparents listened to their parents, they didn’t run off at night and go to parties to get “trashed.” The way that teenagers are acting today is totally ridicules, they do things just to spite their parents. I know. I was one of them.

I was not an active participant as much as a watcher. I watched many friends participate in “normal” activities and thought they were all crazy, but they were my friends so I stayed there and alert, just in case. I am too scared that I would be the one person to O.D., because overdosing happens frequently. Our grandparents didn’t have their parents worried that they might get a ‘bad batch’ and end up in the hospital or worse, dead. Our grandparents were taught to do the right thing when they were in school. Many of them were thinking about going straight to the war, not where the next keg party might be.

I look at my two daughters and wonder; what will the world be like when they are teenagers? If clothing keeps disappearing as it has been, they will be running around naked. This scares me because teens are so horny now. I hate to be so blunt, but they are. Our grandfather’s were not getting as many girls as they could, they respected their women, they courted them. Our grandmothers were not stripping naked at parties, they were tending to family

or their studies. Most of our grandparents are still with the same person they dated in highschool. Everyone is being too greedy and selfish today: Boys need more girls, girls need more jewelry, everywhere you look someone is screaming “more, more, more.” Young people today are so hyped up on credit cards and the latest trends that they don’t realize where their lives are headed. I was seventeen when I got pregnant with my first daughter. I am part of the teenage pregnancy statistics. I am still not married. Our grandparents would have never been me, and if they were, they were sent somewhere to hide the pregnancy and give the baby up. I hate the fact that when I look at many of the statistics today, I realize that I am part of them.

I had a serious wake up call. I realized when my first daughter was ten months old that I was part of a huge statistic which I didn’t want anything to do with. I was a poor teen mother with a deadbeat boyfriend. I decided that my great-grandmother would have never been there, so I left that situation. Now I am worried about how well I am raising my children. I am hoping that my girls with have the values that I hold now, instead of the ones that I did before I had them.

It is scary to think that I had to have a baby so early to realize this. Many of our grandparents were as young as I was when they started having children, like me, they didn’t participate in all the activities that young people are enjoying now. They were responsible and planned ahead, or their parents did so for them. Unlike me, they were married. I believe if young people today don’t wake up and start living lives with the values their grandparents possessed, society will continue to go down the toilet, and we can only circle the bowl for so long before we get flushed.