Allison - Sarasota, Florida

I believe that John Donne says it best “No man is an island, entire of itself.” This message was really brought home to me last Saturday during a concert in Central Park. There we were a group of ten amongst thousands in a sea of humanity. We appeared to be our own little island. For just a moment the thought crossed my mind that we were a part of this sea however separate. In time some of us would be absorbed by the sea. By that I mean, eventually some of the members in our group will move on like the tide. Yet just like the sea leaves shells upon the beach as it ebbs and flows thereby changing the beach, these people will leave behind a changed me.

I think the seed for this thought was planted earlier in the week when my mom and I were talking about how people come into your life for a reason, some remain in your life forever but most just pass through. However, all of these people affect who you are and who you are to become. Likewise we too affect every person we meet. If you think about that, it is a pretty awesome responsibility .But that’s just it, people don’t have to think about how much they change and impact others, it just happens.

At times we all wish we could freeze moments and stay with people forever but in reality if you had frozen time in the past you wouldn’t be with the people you are today. In kindergarten my best friend was Blair. We were inseparable and spent every free minute giggling and playing together. Then we changed schools. She went one way; I went another. We slowly lost touch. My friendship with Blair had molded me and then I was ready to connect with new people I wouldn’t have been drawn to before.

I am who I am today because of the friends and people I have met throughout my life. Like the tide is ever constant always changing the shape of the beach people will always come and go changing me. I believe every person you meet affects who you will become and you affect everyone you meet.