Douglas - Torrington, Connecticut
Themes: Christianity

I believe it is possible to be a democrat and be a good Christian.

I also believe it is possible to be a republican and be a very bad Christian.

I believe that any society that believes that there is no God would find it necessary to find people who do believe in God so they can feel safe in their communities to believe there is no God.

I believe that any Christian that believes in the doctrine of preemptive strike has a warp understanding of God’s dealings or is motivated by personal or political reasons. The Bible teaches we should do to others, as we would have them do to us. Even God waited 470 years before He brought judgment on Jericho.

I believe that the doctrine of staying the course is a mantra and not a principle. If I were on a 747 on a collision course with a mountain, for my pilot to stay the course would not be courageous but stupid and for him to change course would not be cowardly but wisdom. Judas stayed the course and the result was, “The Passion of the Christ.”

I believe that any Christian that feel safer now than they did before 9/11 is a bad Christian at best and an atheist at worst. A Christian believes that God will not allow anything to happen to him/her unless it is in accordance with His perfect will. I believe that death is not the ultimate end of man but the prelude before a great beginning.

I believe that any Christian nation that does not take care of its very young or its very old is destined to fall. I believe it is possible to be pro-choice and not be pro-abortion. How else will anyone change his course if we do not defend with all energy that right to choose no matter how offensive the choice is to our senses? God knew the danger of granting man the power of choice, yet after the fall of man into sin, it became one of the gifts God allowed him to keep when man left the Garden of Eden. The possibility always existed that he could chose to return.

I believe it is possible to be pro-life and be pro-abortion. What difference does it make to be morally repulsed by the abortion of life in the operation room but accept it on the battlefield of a morally indefensible war? Is not the result the same, the termination of life prematurely without cause or God’s permission? Satan is accommodating; He will create the circumstances necessary for you to make the choice to follow his will unless you are a student of the word of God. How many of the parents of the soldiers that have died in the war contemplated abortion and continued the pregnancy only to still lose them in a battle without cause. You don’t believe in abortion, how about war? You don’t believe in war, how about abortion?

I believe that for America to continue to be a great nation the voice of all it citizens must be heard. What sense does it make to mourn the circumstances and passing of Terri Schindler Schiavo, yet not give the remains of the stem cell lines a decent burial? Would we leave the body of an American soldier to be experimented on by the enemy because he was already dead? Or would we risk life and limb to retrieve the body, if for nothing else other than it was the right thing to do no matter the cost, even at the cost of the presidency of the United States? Can you hear their voices? After all, Horton heard the Whos.

I believe that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet and sin by any other name would still be sin. To rename sin terrorism in the hope of defeating it is to begin a war you will never win or easily be extracted from but a way of escape has already been provided for by the death of Christ on the cross. A terrorist is born every minute. The bible says all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Will we secure a million dollar for every child born just in case they grow up to do terrorist acts? When will this war end? At the judgment seat of God!

I believe homeland security is a misnomer if there is no security in the home. When a mother was drenched in gasoline and had to run out of her house naked to escape the anger of her husband, where was homeland security? When a woman became the victim of a murder suicide because she dared to choose to leave her current boyfriend a policeman for another, where was homeland security? When my son was discriminated against because of the color of his skin, where was home and security?

I believe fear is a great motivator for change but it is a poor teacher of the right actions to take or the direction of change. On Wednesday, the day before thanksgiving I passed a turkey walking along the roadside early in the morning for all to see. It was plump and well ready to grace the table of some thanksgiving feast but it didn’t care. I believe that that turkey was saying to all who passed it that a turkey should not need a presidential pardon to enjoy all the benefits afforded a free turkey this great United Sates.

I believe in the final analyst the question will not be whether you believe in God but rather, did you believe what was true about God. Men everywhere create their own image of God so they can be free to choose to believe or not believe in God.

My name is Douglas and I humbly submit that this is what I believe.