Cathie - Michigan

I believe that fame is overrated.

That belief grows exponentially if I even consider the possibility of fame finding its way into my house.

For one thing, I don’t believe that fame—in any way—will be what makes my son happy. What makes him happy involves a guitar, an idea, and maybe a few fun-loving teenagers to share the musical adventure.

If the participants happen to be musicians sharing the basement “stage,” great. If a few people in the room happen to be facing a real stage, and he’s on it—well, he may think that this would make him even a little bit happier. A show of applause? We might even be talking a little bit of glee!

But if you had to take away one of the two things—the guitar or the adulation—he’d be keeping the guitar.

And, as a parent whose wishes for her son include true love (not groupies), a moral, stable family life (not a feature story on VH1’s Behind the Music), I’m hoping the guitar can be enough.

Others may be delighted…living vicariously…just enjoying the attention. Personally, I think fame belongs at my neighbor’s house—so much more fun, much less responsibility!

A friend’s son is playing guitar at church, and seriously considering the priesthood.

My son is playing the guitar using his teeth—his $4,000 orthodontia-corrected teeth, a la Jimi Hendrix, and perfecting his on-his-back-360 while soloing during an original song titled “Shut Up and Rock.”

Your son can say something that shows no complex thought at a family gathering…and it never goes beyond the back patio.

My son might do the same and run the risk of being included in the newspaper’s Names & Faces column, just below Tom Cruise’s third marriage announcement.

In fact, I have a laundry list of concerns that we could discuss…not that a mother’s opinion will stop a determined musician. Who wants to talk about getting a “Plan B” engineering degree when visions of musical greatness and fame beckon?

I don’t begrudge my son his talent, and, ad nauseum, I’ve always told him to use it. I would just prefer that he not use it too famously!