Wesley - Uniontown, Ohio
Themes: Christianity

I believe in God.

Have you ever considered the matter of the universe in all its forms? Have you ever thought about the fact that an atom of carbon here on earth behaves the same as one 10,000,000 light years away? Or that that same carbon atom is 99.9999% – nothing – void – empty space. Or that while physicists attempt to understand it by describing it mathematically and smashing it to bits to see what happens, they can only imperfectly model it?

I believe an atom is a self-contained, perpetually active thought. It is a thought that physicists nearly, but not completely, understand.

Just as the simple laws of geometry – which like the fundamental forms of matter are small self-evident thoughts – can be brought together to “prove” more complex theorems, the fundamental forms of matter of this universe – the thoughts of this universe – come together to “prove” more complex things. Through their interplay we see stars and planets, black holes and oceans, mountains and streams. We, in fact, see Life!

I can not consider matter, itself, in its fundamental forms, nor especially in the form of its resultant proofs without knowing that it did not come about by accident.

Matter in its simplest forms are the thoughts of God made tangible just as I am the thoughts of God made tangible. When I think about this I wonder if I am a part of God, coming full circle through the miracle of his creative power, to introspect – to rediscover himself through his own creation?

There was a time when this aspect of God was all I believed. He was a God that created and wound up what we know as the universe and all its matter – perhaps even becoming the matter of the universe himself – but did not interfere and did not care. He was a God that didn’t do miracles beyond the miracle of his own majesty – beyond the miracle of his own creation. This mathematical and physical view of Him did not seem to hear my prayers and did not love me. I was for Him an interesting result of His creation just as He was for me a subject of philosophical consideration.

This is what I believed and as far as I knew, I was alone.

But then I began to read about a man who said he was God’s representative and that God was, in fact, Love. God had gotten involved and made this man specifically for us. If a physicist has an understanding of God’s mind, this man had an understanding of God’s heart. I could believe in God through the incomprehensible majesty of his creation but I could not access his love – his heart – his purpose – except through the words of the man who said he was his son.

I was an outsider – watching and thinking – amazed but alone. I believed in God’s mind but not in his heart. But now I believe in Both.

This I also believe – I believe in Jesus Christ.