Susan - Santa Monica, California
Themes: democracy

“It’s an honor to meet you, Mr. President.” As I approached Al Gore, I’d been wondering what he’d think of that greeting since I thought of it, the day before he was to appear in Beverly Hills, to promote his book about global warming: “An Inconvenient Truth.”

I greeted Al Gore as “Mr. President,” because I believe he should rightly be our President. The people voted him into office because he had proven, in the prior administration, that he was capable of running, and leading this country competently. He did not have a list of failed businesses, nor a wealthy family’s continual financial bail-out behind him. And he did not have any conflict of interest with Saudi Arabia, Iraq, or the business of war.

I believe that Al Gore would not have taken this country to war needlessly. And an estimated 2,515 Americans, 50,000 Iraqi citizens, and over 200 citizens of other countries – would not be dead – nor over 18,490 U.S. citizens wounded. If, in fact, we went to war, I believe I would understand why. And it wouldn’t be for financial gain and interests.

I believe that Al Gore should be our President, especially now, as George Bush snubs Mr. Gore’s global warming enlightenment efforts. While Bush’s deputy press secretary insists that Bush has acknowledged the involvement of human activity in global warming, he refuses to see Mr. Gore’s documentary: An Inconvenient Truth, despite offers to arrange a screening right at the White House.

There’s an old saying – “show, don’t tell.” If Bush really cared about the global warming problem, he would at least see the film that merely chronicles the dangers of climate change. It shouldn’t be about taking sides. It’s about the environmental future of this country.

I believe, most of all, that Al Gore should be our President, because he truly cares about this country, and has shown that by continuing to address the important issues that matter to the people of this great nation, and the people to come.

In this, I believe.

Oh, and, Mr. Gore’s response to my referral as “Mr. President?”

He smiled, as I knew he would.

In this, I believe.

Bio: Susan is a freelance writer and editor, living in California.