lizeth - columbus/IN/47244, Indiana

This I believe success is the greatest feeling in the world. Success is very important if a person wants to be somebody in life. If I fail I just have to deal with it and stand up and try again. The word failure should not exist. There is always a way.

In high school students have to pass the ISTEP to graduate. For me passing the ISTEP is very important. The first time I took the ISTEP I did not pass it. I felt so horrible and dumb; however, the worst part was that I only passed the math and failed the English by two points. Two points! I thought, “Oh my goodness that’s not a lot.” I had to go to remediation, which I hated. I thought about how if I failed I had to get up again and try all over again until I succeeded. I even cried sometimes because I did not succeed the first time on what I wanted. Sometimes I told myself that I had to do better. I would have to pass it or I wont be able to graduate at all, which for me was being a nobody. I did what I was told and went to remediation every day. The teacher did not really help us she just put us on computers.

We had about two weeks till the ISTEP and my teacher told me before that she sent our tests back so they could recheck them since I only missed two points. Every day I would ask if she had gotten the results back. Every day she told me not to count on them to give me more points because they rarely give people points. After she told me that I gave up and just decided to rely on retaking the test. Later that week I got a slip to deans’ office in my first mod and it said, “whenever convenient”, good news. I was so confused so I decided to go down that second I got the note.

The dean told me to sit down and I said, “What happened? Why did you call me down?”

She said, “as you know we sent your ISTEP to be checked again and they gave you the points you needed.”

“What are you serious?” I said. It was the best day of my life. All this time I thought that they were not going to give me the points. They did not just give two points they gave me four. I immediately told my parents the great news. They were so happy for me.

Success is the best word ever. Even though I failed the first time I had to stand up and try again. After I accomplish something I feel great and confident of myself. I believe success is a wonderful word and a great feeling. Even though I know it’s hard to stand back up and try again it’s the best decision I could make. I am very proud of what I accomplished. I look back and it makes me believe that nothing is impossible in life. Success is a wonderful feeling if I have no limits.