Gena - Park, Utah
Themes: immigrant

I believe in motherhood. I believe that the women that cross our border risking her life, in hopes of a better one for her children should be loved and admired. I believe that the immigration laws of this country are so difficult and tangled that it encourages people to risk life and limb just to avoid it. Those who come here illegally live in fear of being sent home because they lack a piece of paper. Maybe if it were not such an ordeal to gain entry to this nation illegal immigration would stop.

I do not know how putting a wall up will deter those who want to come here. Isn’t there enough hate and pain in this world? Must we put up more fences and walls? It obviously did Germany a great service. I hope you can sense the sarcasm here.

I think that the more we block our selves off from the world the more we seem like the almighty and powerful dictator of the world that we are accused of. This country used to be the country that Nations looked to for inspiration, love and sanctuary. The United States of America is supposed to help the oppressed, the tired, the hungry, and the huddled masses. Maybe we need to look back to the documents that were drafted by our founding fathers to remind us of what we are supposed to be doing here!

We barge into a country to free a suppressed nation across the sea, but we cannot help the people of a nation that is just south of us?

I know that illegal immigration is putting a major strain on our economy, but was it so different now then when all of the immigrants came over on boats and docked at Ellis Island? They were signed into a book and handed a welcome home matt to put at their doorstep.

When I was around 16 or 17, I used to hate to walk down the street and be whistled at by someone saying “Hey Mama Cita!” It would make my stomach turn, so I learned some Spanish cuss words to scream back at them. I was irritated by all of the illegal immigrants that worked in my town because I thought that they were taking up all of the jobs that I might someday want to work when I got older. But as I got older, I realized that the jobs that were being preformed by these people who were striving to better their lives and the lives of their children, were jobs that I didn’t want to do. Nor did anyone that I knew. People in high school want to go straight to a well paying job. They do not want to work their way up in a company. They think they can go straight to CEO. There is no way you are going to get a spoiled kid to work in a restaurant kitchen doing dishes or cutting up vegetables. I’m sorry but it is not going to happen.

I am not advocating illegal immigration. I think that everyone who wants to come to this country to better the life of his or her family should be able to. I think that the valuable assets to this country are those who do the backbreaking work that this nation is built on.

I learned in 7th grade history that this country is supposed to be a melting pot, not a single society that only tolerates English speaking, white people who can afford the big houses on the hill. Who do you built that house? Who do you think cleans that house and maintains the vast gardens for that house? This country was built on the backs of immigrants.

Everyone in this country with the exception of the Native Americans is a descendant of immigrants. How dare we limit who can come into this country. We can’t turn the no vacancy sign on and turn off the porch light.

We must make it easier for people to enter who want to aid in the growth of this nation, and with welcome arms.