Katie - Chanhassen, Minnesota
Themes: family, love, setbacks

I believe in love and fate. i believe that there is a reason for everything.

growing up was hard, my parents fought a lot my older brother and I at first thought it was normal then slowly that changed. Eventually my older brother and I ended up hiding in our rooms or sneaking out while they were fighting just so we wouln’t have to hear it. By the time I was 8 years old and in third grade, my brother 9years old and in fourth grade, my mom decided she had enough of my dads’ emotional abuse so she left him. My mom took my brother and me out of state at that time I wasn’t so sure of what to think they were both my parents and i wanted them to be together. Eventually my mom moved us back and they were together again so we thought everything was normal again.

The September after we moved back my sister was born after she came everything seemed right I thought it was all better now but I was so very wrong. Now that I am almost seventeen years old I think back and everything went down hill after my sister was born. By the time I was in fifth grade I had started noticing how angry my dad would get and how fst and it scared me.

Eventually I started telling my mom we need to leave “can you imagine a nine year old who once adored her father was telling her mom to leave him again when just a couple years before she was begging to move back?” After awhile I started believeing love was nothing i didn’t believe in the power of love like I do now.

After about five years of torment and hate in the house once full of love my mom finally was able to leave. After my dad was out of hte house I was able to “live” while he was around I couldn’t go anywhere, it was about a year after my dad was out that I met my current bouyfriend of one year two weeks and three days. It’s because of his love and kindness that I belive in love, fate and that everything happens for a reanson.

When I was little I would play with my dolls and I would make up this fairytale just as little girls see in mivies. The boy was my prince charming and the girl a princess (me). After I had started noticing my dad and soon after my brothers scary behavior I started thinking maybe there is no prince charming.

Before my boyfriend I didn’t believe in love anymore like I had before and I had a hard time trusting guys because of hte emotional and espeicially physical abuse from my dad, and eventually my brother, which to this day (almost threee years after my mom kicked him out and my brother went with him) he denies everything. I still kind of have a hard time trusting guys besides my dad and brother. I have had some tough experiences with guys and I believe if it wasn’t for my mom coming back I would never have met hte most caring, loveing, understanding, and sensitive guy I’m with right now.

He has changed my view on guys dramatically. If i hadn’t met you I would probably still have a really hard time believing and trusting guys. Even in hte beginning of our relationship I kept kind of resereved because I was afraid of getting to close to fast and getting hurt once again, but I’m glad I did. I’m glad I let myself get close to him. if it weren’t for him I wouldn’t be the person I am today. He showed me that there’s not just one type of guy out there. You showed me that not every guy is hte same. That there is a few good guys still out there. I’m still a little skeptical about guys but I know I got one of hte best. Because of him I beblieve in love, fate, and that everything happens for a reason and so far anything that’s happened good or bad has lead to all (mostly) good even great. Like I say “He’s one of a kind and all mine!”