Cathy - Atwater, California

I believe it is the destiny of every man and woman to be an agent of change. I imagine myself as a female James Bond – a CHANGE Agent. I take my experiences and surrender them to those whose life I am destined to touch with my disappointments, my successes and my failures.

My life as a Change Agent is not glamorous and it doesn’t come with spy gadgets, glasses that see through walls or disguises that mask my vulnerability. As a matter of fact, the only requirement for this mission is the awareness that my life is an open book – it is an accumulation of choices that leads to different paths and eventually to a new set of choices. Each decision has brought consequences and each consequence has brought with it a “life lesson”. Each life lesson is an opportunity.

You might ask. “What do I do with the life lessons?”

And my answer to you would be simple. “Share them.”

About 6 six years ago, I went through an epiphany. It had to do with the concept of control. I was a control freak. I thought if I was in charge I could make life perfect. I wanted to make all the decisions. I witnessed the impact I was having on those who loved me. They wanted to avoid me. I think I made them tired with my endless solutions and interference. And then one day I realized, being in control was an illusion. I recognized that most situations were not mine to “fix”. And fixing them didn’t really help. Sometimes I made matters worse.

Two years after the epiphany, I met a woman who had major issues with control.

During one of our conversations I said, “ You have to realize that “No” is not a bad word. You don’t have to fix everything, and there are other people besides you, who could get the job done.”

She was tired, and full of complaints. When I looked into her eyes, I saw confusion and an overwhelming fear of losing what little control she still had. At first, she couldn’t hear me because she was so deep into doing and controlling that she was exhausted.

I didn’t give up; I just kept applying my life with love. Over time she made the decision to let go. Her health improved. She began enjoying life with her family. She smiles more.

Not all instances end with “happily ever after.” As a “Change Agent” you are only called to share your life story. What people do with it after that is up to them. Just be willing to open up your life, chapter by chapter, and share those pages that are rich with understanding. It is the destiny of every Change Agent- if we choose to accept the mission.