Mary - Wilmington, North Carolina

I was asked to write a “this I believe” paper in Core and I never knew how unorganized by beliefs were until I tried to write them down. It was extremely hard for me to come up with specific beliefs that shape how I go about my day. While brainstorming events or ideas that shaped my beliefs I came up with a concept that almost always was a contributing factor in how I view things. I learned that I put a lot of emphasis on interaction with others and that experience so I thought to myself what kind of person do I want to be and how do I show others. My core belied is Self responsibility in that I will be aware of what kind of message I am sending with my attitude and action everyday. When examining myself I saw that I not only represented myself but my race, religion, and family. I looked at what I thought of my people, religion, and family and what I wanted others to know about these people and institutions. With grouping there are stereotypes and I wanted to break boundaries of discrimination. With each encounter with another individual I see that as an opportunity to change someone’s mind. I started thinking of stereotypes that I have about certain groups of people and looked at how that changed the way I behaved around them. I found that my action may cause a reaction from them resulting in a self-fulfilling prophesy. If I look past a stereotype and act in a consistent manner towards everyone I might change a stereotype for myself personally and for them as well. I am only responsible for my action but I’m aware that my actions have a reaction and I can help shape that reaction from being aware of myself. My Mother always said you make your bed and then you have to lye in it. So each day I would like to go and help make my community a better place on experience at a time.