Jennifer - Cary, North Carolina

This I believe….

I believe that men and women should be treated equally in every aspect of life. In our society, men and women are treated very differently. Men are thought of being the breadwinners of the family and the overall support. However, all of the work that the mother put in to raising the family and the work that the female does is constantly left unnoticed. This is because women are typically thought of as being weaker individuals then males and therefore cannot contribute as much to our society. WRONG! Women can do just as much as men can do and they can do it just as well if not better.

On a more personal note, I recently noticed something very interesting about the annual income between my mother and father. My father is employed by Toys R’ Us and my mother is employed by IBM/Lenovo. Although these are two completely different companies which may have something to do with this issue, they still make a very big difference in incomes. My mother who graduated from Meredith College with a major in Business Management, still makes almost forty thousand dollars less then her husband who has no college degree what so ever! Why should a man get paid more than a female when the female may have better requirements for the job? The way men and women are treated can also be seen throughout all of the positions that I have ever held in any job. Typically, men are given the positions that deal with maintenance; I guess they are given the tasks that they think women cannot handle. At Lochmere Swim and Tennis Club when I was given the position of Lead Guard, my four other male coworkers were given the work outside while I was given the office work such as scheduling and dealing with the issues that Lifeguards brought to my attention. Whenever I would be around the pool area and a lifeguard would come up and ask me if I could help them with something around the pool, I was always able and willing to help. Why shouldn’t a male be given the office work and a female given the opportunity that she can do anything that the men can do? This is because men and women are still not treated equally after many years of dealing with this issue.

This class has also brought a lot of attention about how different men and women are treated. I did not actually realize a lot of the issues concerning this topic until the discussion took place within class. The ways that the institutions discriminate against women is absolutely ridiculous. Women do not deserve to get paid seven thousand dollars less then a male when they have the same qualifications and can do just as good of a job. Certain laws need to be established in the work place in order to prevent this discrimination from happening. Someone needs to take action against this because women need help. As for society changing its various views about women, that is going to take much more.