Ai - San Jose, California

A person’s belief may not matter to others, but it certainly means something to the believer. I might sound horrible, and possibly shunned from society after this, but here it is: I believe that playing CS, in particular boys, contributes to the number of pimples on one’s face, ergo lessening the chance of them getting a date. …Just kidding, that’s what I believe, but it’s irrelevant to what I’m going to say, so I’ll start over. I believe that the best way to know a person is to argue against their beliefs.

I’m pretty sure that I’ve killed many possible friendships and have created gaps – some unbridgeable, but it’s worth it. For those who’ve never argued against their fellow peers, I’ll show you what I see: determination. It’s written in their eyes, their facial features, and their speech pattern.

An example: my mother. I love pushing her buttons, partly because of the funny faces she make, and partly because it’s a reason for us to talk more. One topic we often argue about – can you guess? – doing the dishes. Clarification: I don’t mind doing the dishes, I found out that if you washed the dishes for thirty minutes everyday after you eat dinner for a year, you lose 8 pounds; so I don’t mind, not really, it’s just really fun pushing her buttons. I find it endearing the way her aura/chi/energy/chakra (whatever you call it) flares up and her voice gets higher and louder. Not only that, her eyes sparkle; vibrant and alive, drawn to the allure of proving that she’s the supreme queen. It’s really cute. It’s even cuter when I stump her. She frowns slightly, then switches her strategy to become a virtue-ethicist, and plans to guilt me into submission. She wins because I let her, and I do it to see the soft gentle smile of a mother, the kinds that get softer and more serene with the passing of time, the kinds that I like the best. (Every once in a blue moon, I bring out the best of my mother.)

And if you look at it my way, the “argument” becomes “a between-the-line communication that allows each person to see the other’s ever-changing perspective and from that determine how the other is feeling,” which happens to be kind of loud. And between you, me, and whomever you choose to pass this information onto, I think it’s better than Morse code, Pig Latin, Braille, or any other code.

I believe that “arguing” is a good way to understand a person. A person’s belief may not matter to others, so you don’t have to believe what I believe, but be polite about it.