Alex - Piedmont, California

At 4:00, when I get home from a long day at school I feel disheartened with the stress school, my family and friends cause on my life. But as soon as I step out of my car, at first glance of my house, a sense of comfort starts to loosen my tense body.

When I step through the doorway, I feel the anxiety on my back fall away, as if an invisible hand brushed it off. The chaotic thoughts that usually rack my brain settle with the stillness of the air, while the silence massages my stressed nerves. These walls protect my will from the noises of distress that plague me.

When I sit in my room and listen to music, I feel that my spirit lifts me above the world. Music has become my outlet, the sole constant that I can fall back onto. No matter how hard my day was, whether it was the anxiety of sports or distress of class, I can always come home and retreat to music. I prefer alternative because it can incorporate many styles of music, whether alternative rock, indie or punk, into sounds of relaxation. And with so many other genres of music, including rap, rock, and jazz, there is music to suit any type of listener.

Music is the world’s universal language. No matter in what language our country it is heard, music can be understood by the listener. One doesn’t have to understand lyrics in order to appreciate the feelings felt when a song is played. I can listen to The Phantom of the Opera and experience the sorrow he feels by the low stretching notes of the instrumentals. You undergo feelings that can’t be changed by the other senses, only with the coming of a new rhythm or silence.

At my school we have a day without art, where we hide art in response to the many artists lost to HIV and AIDS. I didn’t think that this event would matter much to me because I can deal without a day of looking at the art in the library or in the ceramics room. When my ceramics teacher explained to the class that art included anything artistic, including music, thinking of a world without art became more realistic. To think that everything and anything that has to do with a person’s artistic rendition, living without any of it brings a whole new picture of a desolate world to my eye. It makes me think of how much I need to value art, especially music because without it, life would change dramatically.

Without music, I am all alone, with my thoughts, decisions, mistakes and the truth of my past, stuck with my affliction. Left feeling the heartache of my decisions, not understanding them, the mistakes I’ve made can save me from unknown challenges, those not yet faced. While I can’t change the past and the world is still a crazy place, music can help relieve the growing pains of life. Music is, for me, a sanctuary from the ills of my mind which keeps me connected to a shared world. So I say, sit back in a nice comfy chair, play your favorite tunes and allow your mind to relax because Everyone Deserves Music. This I believe.