Angelique - Renton, Washington

I believe that we are our own best friends. Every morning we wake up and see ourselves in the mirror. It’s the one thing on this planet that will always be there. When you need to ponder about your upcoming schedule or think about the homework you didn’t do there is always that voice in your head going a million miles a minute. Even though you can’t “hear” the voice you know it’s there. It’s yourself just working out conflicts and feelings all the time.

Now imagine your friends. The ones you’ve known the longest. It those people that you hope to trust and be there for you when ever you need. Now imagine your family. You’ve known them since birth. They are there to comfort you and support you. But now think of what is left after your friends go home and your family goes to sleep….. There’s just you. And your own thoughts. You think about your day and talk to your self about what might have happened. You may even laugh a little about something funny or cry about something sad. But in the end it’s your body and mind that is there to calm you down or cheer you up. It’s this voice and companion in your head that we know will always be there. And we can trust that voice to say whatever we want it to while still allowing it to help us through our daily life.

For me I found that my own best friend was myself after my junior year. All through my life I was encouraged to be out going. Making friends was not an issue and I loved being around them. My life was always active and if I wasn’t having fun with my friends or entertaining them then I was not satisfied. But during the summer before my senior year I found my self-quieting down. It wasn’t me maturing or me changing it was me learning. I learned that I didn’t need to be around people all the time. That being serious wasn’t a bad thing and that spending time by your self is the best thing you can do. When I’m by myself I find the one friend I really want to converse with. It’s the one person that knows more about me than anyone I know. It’s when I’m by myself that my mind is clear and I can hear that voice nice and loud. The one that can organize, dream and instruct all at the same time. To this day I find that my social life is now equal, full of family, friends and most of all my best friend….. my self. This I believe.