Nicolas - Piedmont, California
Themes: good & evil

-“The Chinese concept that everything is explicable in terms of two complementary but opposing principles.”

I believe in Yin and Yang. Light and dark. Good and evil. Male and female. Right and wrong. Lazy and diligent. Sexy and professional. Rigid and laid-back.

To me, the Yin and Yang represent the chaos of everyday life. They represent the gap between the rich and the poor; they represent all of humanity and the universe. Yin and yang are interdependent. I believe that for every badass punk rocker kid with a pink mohawk, there is an equal and opposite force elsewhere, a clean, well kept conservative businessman, and I believe that they are not all that much different. They are not only opposing each other, but working together, sometimes shaping progress.

Yin and Yang is Newton’s Third Law of Motion in effect outside of physics. It is the reason America does not have nationalized healthcare. It is the reason we don’t have a clinically insane, oppressive dictator. It is the reason that we have elected officials, and the reason that you showed up to work this morning.

When was a younger child growing up, my parents always told me to eat my vegetables. Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn’t. These days I eat vegetables sometimes, and sometimes not. When a drug dealer sees the result of his best friend’s brother being addicted to drugs, he might shape up and stop dealing. For every Michael Moore there is a Rush Limbaugh or an Ann Coulter.

I believe that Yin and Yang are beautiful because they represent the ever-present antithesis of extremism. This simple concept of the opposites of the Yin and the Yang are the soul of the founding fathers, of the fine arts, of democracy, scientific advancement, and murky progressivism.

W.E.B DuBois is the Yin and Stalin is the Yang. DuBois and activist and Stalin a corrupt man, we still survive today with collective memories of both. George Bush is the Yin and Julia Butterfly is the Yang. What did they do? How did they help humankind? Who are they? Why are you, the yin, or the yang? Who are your friends?

Are you right brained? Maybe your left-brain is your Yin. Maybe it emerges and night and transforms you. Maybe you have arguments with yourself; if you are human you know you do, maybe admitting it is harder. Confidence is sexy. But isn’t confidence just indecision masked by state of mind and delusions? Why are we here? Yin and Yang can help us address this issue or the issue of whether to order the chicken or the fish. Temporary imbalance is key the cycles of yin and yang. Yin and Yang are a natural cycle.

Most importantly, I believe we all know this. Some of us just don’t think about it. Don’t worry, you’re not left out.