Lauren - Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
Themes: sports

I jogged out and then stood on my position on the field. It was the first game of the season and I was so excited because I was starting at my favorite position, striker. It was my first year playing soccer for my school and coach said that he definitely thinks I’ll have a good playing time. We all stood anxiously waiting for the referee to blow the whistle. The fields were muddy and it was cloudy out but you could see it in everyone’s eyes they wanted to play. The whistle blew. Both I and the striker from the other team charged for the ball. Five minutes after the whistle blew I got a break away and was charging for the goal. Suddenly a defender went to take the ball from me. That’s when it happened. BOOM! As I fell to the ground the world stood still and then went black. As soon as I opened my eyes I felt a shrieking pain coursing up and down my right leg. Unfortunately when the defender went to kick the ball she kicked me in the shin instead. It hurt so bad I couldn’t manage to scream for my coach. As he began to run over I watched as the rest of the field went down on one knee in respect of my injury. The pain was almost unbearable. Five minutes into the first game of the season and I already managed to get injured. As I was carried off the field by my fellow teammates I could hear the coach calling my mom. He sounded worried which made me very uneasy about the extent of my injury. After waiting forty five minutes in agony my mom finally pulled onto the field. After being helped into the car my mom quickly took me to the hospital where my dad worked. After sitting in the waiting room for about two hours the doctor called us back for an x-ray.

As I waited for the results of the essay I prayed to God for it not to be broken. I had the rest of the season to go. How could he take me out of the running so early? I still wanted to play. As the doctor walked I sat there crossing my fingers. He looked at both me then my mom before saying. “I’m sorry to report but it’s broken”. How come this happen to me? I didn’t do anything to deserve this. After weeks of physical therapy, months with a long plaster cast, and weeks on end with crutches there is something I have come to believe. Despite its meaning there is one thing that kept me going. Everything happens for a reason, although this at times seems very hard to believe….this I believe.