David - Gastonia,, North Carolina
Age Group: 65+

I believe in God. Not a vicious and vengeful God, but the loving, nurturing God described in the Bible as “Love”.

I further believe that God created the world and the Universe. But I also believe that it doesn’t really matter whether or not we believe that the world and the Universe were created in six days or six unfathomable eons.

For I believe that when we are called into God’s presence, it will be of little significance in what time frame the world was created, since the measurement of time is merely an invention of mankind based upon the relationship of our sun to our planet, Earth, alone.

I believe what will matter is whether or not we have earnestly tried to emulate God’s love toward our fellow man.

I believe that humanity was created in the image of God, and since God is a spirit, it is our spirit that is created in the God’s image, and not our physical attributes. I further believe that as our spirits develop, they will be strengthened either for good or evil depending on whether they are nourished by God’s or Satan’s influence upon our lives. I also believe that the choice is ours and ours alone.

I believe in Heaven and Hell. Not a Heaven way out somewhere, far away, but a Heaven close at hand in a realm that we can not, in our physical form, peer into. And not a Hell in the bowels of the earth where physical conflagration helps keep our world a vibrant life sustaining planet, but a Hell conceived of our own endeavors, if we allow the spirit of Satan to reign in our lives. I further believe that either of these can be, and will be, in part, of our own making.

It has been argued that we are products of evolution and not creation, and that we continue to evolve acquiring the means to continue to survive. However, when I consider the physical eye with which we are born, and its miraculous function, my belief in creation is reinforced, because many have been able to adapt and function and survive without sight, but our progeny still continues to be born with the marvelous ability to see the creation around us.

I believe in the Universe that has, in part, been revealed to us by science, even though I have not seen any more of the Universe than can be seen from the constraints of our world.

I also believe in faith, and that by believing, we can see more than we would by our physical sight alone.

For as C. S. Lewis aptly said, “I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else”.

And while I believe that it is in the best interest of science to explore the realms beyond our finite world, the planets of our solar system, and our expansive galaxy in the vast Universe wherein we live, I also believe that in the end, we will be judged, not on what we have learned, but on how well we have used what we have learned to foster love and honor, and to benefit humanity.