Brianna - Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania
Themes: love

The summer that I turned 12 years old, my father was diagnosed with brain cancer. At the time, I was going into in seventh grade at Conshohocken Catholic School but didn’t like it that much and wished I could transfer to public school for eighth grade. However, my father was religious and thought that I needed a Catholic education to keep me on the right track. On November 6th, 2002, my father passed away. That year in school was horrible for me, and I needed a change. My mother was more open about my schooling than my father was, and we decided that I would go and check out Colonial Middle School for eighth grade. My mother and I went one for a tour and I immediately made up my mind that I wanted to go there.

I had a blast that school year and made a lot of new friends, one of which was Michelle Jordan. We were pretty much just acquaintances in eighth grade, but during our freshman year at Plymouth Whitemarsh High School we became closer than ever. Over the summer we hung out almost every day, and we told each other everything. I remember the first day she told me about Mark. We were in Vino’s eating dinner and Michelle was deciding between two boys to go out with, either Mark or Matt. I tried to give her my advice based on what she had told me, but I couldn’t be quite sure because I didn’t know either of them. After we ate, we came back to my house and stayed up late in the office while she talked to Mark online and Matt on the phone. As it usually does, it became too much for her to handle both, so she left the computer to mainly focus on Matt. So, I sat down and started talking to Mark, trying to find out what he was like if he was good enough for Michelle and whatnot. We started talking and joking around like we’d known each other forever and instantly I had this feeling inside of me that I can’t

even describe. The chemistry alone in those couple of hours we talked was undeniable. After that night, the rest is history. We began talking on a regular basis and by September we were together. I cannot remember a time in my life that I have been happier than in those early months of us becoming friends then more. We dated for 6 ½ months, then broke up. I was devastated, but then after 3 weeks of not talking, we became close friends again. I can’t imagine him not being in my life because he means the world to me…I love him. We’ve been through so much together and through it all, I still care for him a lot.

I believe that everything happens for a reason and that there is such a thing as fate, or destiny. If I had never gone to my new school after my dad died, I would have never become friends with Michelle and never would have met Mark. He has changed me for the better in so many ways and we’ve grown together in the year we’ve known each other. I’m so thankful to have him in my life and I don’t know how it could be any other way.