Gerard - Daly City, California

Power of the Pen

I believe in the power of the pen. Everyday before I go to school I never forget my pen. I know that during school a pen could be my best friend or my worst enemy. When the pen is ignored it will be more difficult to complete certain tasks, but if I use it then my whole day will become easier and tasks will be finished in no time.

In my life the pen has helped me realize my potential. Without the pen I could never believe I could write beyond my expectations. When I was young I often preferred to spend my time in sport, watching T.V. or on the computer, rather than writing an essay. As I began to write more I was surprised at what I could do. All the ideas and thoughts came rushing from my brain to my fingers until they were on the paper. It was like a river that flowed into a lake of tranquility. After writing as essay like that, I felt that a piece within my heart will always be imprinted on that piece of paper.

A pen could also be a window into someone’s mind, imaginations and even dreams. Whenever I write something in school like an essay or a story I always put my heart in whatever I am writing. I feel that with the pen my own soul is captured onto the paper with the ink. Whenever I write something that truly grasp the power of the pen my presence can be felt just by reading what I wrote. For example, when I read Shakespeare I think that he is forever made immortal because of the many masterful plays and heart filled poems he created.

The future itself depends on the pen. Many young people rely on the pen to guide their futures. They will soon be the people to lead this world and change it. Depending on who has it, the pen could divide countries through war or unite nations with peace through the many documents that world leaders decide to create, like the declaration of independence. The pen could also create one of the greatest books that could inspire the millions of people reading it or help children understand the value of reading. It all depends on the person’s intent with the pen.

People often ask me why they can’t do great things when they have a pen as well. I tell them that this power does not come from the pen itself because the pen alone is just a dead object. The power comes from a mix of energy that comes from the knowledgeable mind and the emotional heart. It is this energy that gives life to the pen and also gives life to writing. The true power of the pen comes from within us.

Throughout time the pen has evolved from simple tools for stone tablets to the quill, and eventually the ball point pen and now with advances in technology the keyboard. It has been held by many great people: writers, scientist, kings, emperors and presidents. All of them did great things, and now it’s my turn. This I believe.