Emily - Chino, California

I believe in love, friendship, and in being kind to everyone no matter who they are. I recently wen with my church to help others participate in a day of special Olympics. We all could have easily sat around and laughed buy we chose to do what we knew was right. I believe thateveryone deserves a chance to be treated the right way. I believe the no matter who you are that you deserve to be treated with respect.

As we helped these people play games that they could’nt physically do by themselves, they were happy and thankful. They knew that even though they were different from us that we were going to treat them with love and kindness. Even though they weren’t winning they were all so grateful that someone took the time so that they oculd feel what it is like to play sports and have a good time. All the volunteers helped them an when they finished a game the way they looked like they were truly happy just made me realize that everyone deserves to feel that way.

They taught me one of the greated lessons I have ever received. That not enough people today treat everybody like the should, and that even with just speding a couple of hours with someone can ake them feel like everyone should all the time. Even just a smile can brighten someone’s day. A few years ago I was sitting in my seventh grade math class and I looked up at someone I didn’t know and I smiled. She confronted me a few days later and she is now one of my best friends. She has told me since then that she had been having a bad day and when I smiled it made her feel so much better. Knowing that I helped someone with just a simple simle made me realize that what I had learned at the Special Olympics was true. I believe everyone deserves to be treated with love, friendship, kindness, and respect.