Stephanie - chino, California

I believe

I believe in smiling. I know it sounds pretty ridiculous right? “ She believe’s in smiling”.But it’s more then it sounds. I believe in smiling when all else fails; when the whole world seems to be coming down around you, when your life seems to be crumbling before your eyes. I’ve found a simple smile can help, a whole lot.

It’s not until high school until I realized really just how many people are sad and depressed. Over what? I may never know. I do know that no one really pays attention to it. I’d never seen or noticed Hurt until I’d been hurt. It seems like no body understands just how to fix things. They just get deeper and deeper, and for some; they make the wrong decisions.

About a year ago, one of my friends went through a lot. She continued to get worse and worse and eventually was put in a Mental Institution. She’d begun cutting herself and made several attempts of suicide. She said it was, “ the easiest way of relieving her pain.” Relieving?

Relieving I thought? Hurting yourself mental after you already hurt mentally, dosen’t seem to be relieving at all.

I thought to myself, What if someone had just told her to smile? Just let go and smile? Even if it was just for a second or two. Maybe that would have saved her, and her family, from all of the pain that they went through emotionally and physically. A simple smile, could have releived a lot.

I look around now thinking about that experience. She’s ok now, but she’s ok because now shes happy. Some taught her to be happy again, someone taught her to smile again. I use smile’s, not razor blades to help me get through things. It’s as simple as can be. If your tired, you go to sleep. If your hungry, you eat. When you smell, you take a shower. So when your sad… Just smile.