Erin - Altamont, New York
Themes: tolerance

I believe in the power of acceptance. The fact that people’s true identities can be seen in the decisions that they make.

Acceptance and tolerance for me have been tested on more than one occasion in the past couple of years. For me it’s been unwavering, I carry with me a lesson my parents have always taught me “don’t judge a book by its cover.” But like many people my views on tolerance and acceptance of people has been tested and pushed to the limits.

In eighth grade, one of my close friends, Mel came out to a close group of friends that she was homosexual; it was one of my first tests. And, yet I stood by her, when many of our close friends had decided that her differences were too much for them to handle. If they had accepted her for her who she was they would have realized that she was the same old Mel we had always known.

I believe that acceptance is a powerful thing. When most recently, I have seen people judged, not on the color of their skin or what religion they practice. But, merely on whom they love. Acceptance is a building block of how we live out our lives and the type of person we have come to be.

Without my parent’s teaching me at a young age that it was important to accept everyone. I take that lesson with me every where. It has served to shape my personality and the person that I am today.

I know that the generation that I was born in and have grown up in is constantly changing. It is very different to that which my parents grew up in. The constant change that is seen between generations has always seemed to cause a rift between the older and younger generation. I hope that one lesson that I will see from this is that the generation in which I live will be able to accept the changes that are to come with the changing times and generations.

I believe in the power of acceptance. That every person; deserves a chance to be accepted and loved. No matter race, color or religion. I believe that we as a human race have the power to accept human nature and, realize that every one of us is different. Those differences hold the balance of what has made up the past, the present and hopefully the future.