Gregory - Slingerlands, New York

I believe that standardized tests shouldn’t determine one’s future. These certain kinds of tests are given to students at the end of the school year comprised of things he or she has learned throughout the year. It seems nowadays that these tests are becoming more challenging causing multiple students to fail. The difficulty level is constantly increasing while grades are decreasing, making it seem that students have less of a chance succeeding in life based on a test.

My mother constantly complains about the whole standardized tests. She feels that these tests are somewhat designed to fail a student. She feels that if a high percentage of students are failing these standardized tests year after year, than that should be a wake up call to the people issuing them. For example, the most difficult exam in New York State would be the Math B Regents Exam. Last year, a reported 75% of students in New York State flunked. As much preparation that a student put in to pass this test, the end result is a failing mark. Not only is failing a Regents exam a downfall to a student, but unfortunately it lesser their chance of being admitted into college.

When it comes to taking standardized tests at the end of the year, I’m not so hot shot myself. In general, I’m just not a test taker and it played a huge affect on my college acceptances. My senior year of high school, my main objective was not only to graduate, but to select a college to attend afterwards. The search was pretty hectic, but I managed to narrow my choices down. Unfortunately I got many rejections from all my colleges due to my testing skills. On my behalf, it was a huge disappointment because I felt that colleges focused more on my scores I received on my exams, rather than looking at me as a student as a whole. I definitely felt that I possessed excellent qualities as a student that colleges would go far, but that wasn’t the case.

Luckily, I did get accepted into a very prestigious school that didn’t let my testing weigh over on top of the qualities and potential that I have as a student. I felt much better because I honestly believe that everyone isn’t a straight A student or receive a perfect score on the SAT’s. When colleges make their decision on accepting a student, they should look at them as a whole and how see how those traits would benefit him or her in being successful. I’m not saying that all colleges don’t, but you have those who are picky with whom they want. A student rejected from a top school could one day become the next president, you just never know.

Therefore, I believe that just because a student doesn’t meet all the credentials such as standardized testing to a particular school that should not be the reason for them exceeding in life.