Dmitri - Albany, New York
Themes: work

I believe that hard work and effort pays off even if you don’t immediately see the benefits.

In the early month of my high school career I often envied people who did not care. They didn’t care about their grades, about doing homework of completing projects or how they did on the tests. Instead of doing their schoolwork they had fun talking to each other, wasting time and avoiding work at all costs. Sometimes I thought myself: “Why bother?” I thought that the only purpose of good grades was to please my parents and maybe my teachers. I didn’t think it would pay off in the future as I didn’t see immediate benefits. I had my periods of laziness but in general I worked hard.

By the end of my junior year I got a pleasant surprise. Colleges started sending their information to me saying things like this: “We think that you might be a good fit for our intellectual community” My SAT score came out to be fairly high and I think it had a lot to do with the amount of effort I put forward in school. In my college selection process I had a luxury of a wide choice of schools to attend, and a comfort of knowing that I will be admitted at least at some colleges I applied to. Payoff continued when I received a scholarship from a college I wanted to go to.

Now as a senior at the end of the school year I look back at the high school and I realize that none of my effort was wasted. This makes me feel optimistic about the future. I know that success in life has less to do with luck and more to do with the effort you put in it.