Nicholas - Altamont, New York
Themes: work

This I believe

It was my first year in middle school, in my sixth grade class when everything changed for me. I had four different teachers for six different subjects, each giving at least two or three homework assignments per week. This was very unusual for me, the kid who may have had one or two assignments from my spelling book per week, if that. Well instead of doing my homework I would go and play at a friend’s house or watch television on the couch. Whether I didn’t care to do my homework or if I thought that it was too much work for me to handle I am unsure, but I sure as hell didn’t do the work.

The teachers always told me they would call my parents if I continued to not bring the work in finished. I never really put much belief into that and the one day when I returned home my parents told me that, they had received a phone call and there was a parent teacher conference scheduled for the following week.

They had that conference the following week and I caught a glimpse of them leaving the conference room. I still remember the look of disappointment on their faces, this is a look that will be etched in my brain forever.

After seeing this and talking with my parents about this issue, I came to believe that if I didn’t get myself back on track it would end up bad. I would end up failing classes in school, and in the long run end up being a failure at life, stuck in some crappy dead end job with no future.

This is the first time in my life that I realized that I actually had to take some time out and work on stuff to get it done. I had seen other members of my family who didn’t complete college or even high school and I didn’t want to end up like that. Even if I didn’t always try my hardest from this point forward, I have always known when it is I time to stop screwing around and get down to business so I don’t end up doing poorly in life.

This belief has helped me continue to do well in school, especially this my senior year when even though I don’t want to go to school and don’t want to do my work, I still try to do the work and get done what I need to get through this time.

I believe that this idea that I learned about early in life will continue to affect me positively in life and I hope that I can continue to follow it so I can strive to do my best in college and beyond.