Catherine - Alany, New York
Themes: death

I believe that friendship can save you from anything, even the agonizing pain death creates.

Earlier this year, on February 15, I lost the greatest man in my life, my grandfather – Bud. He was and still is my hero. He had survived a traumatic childhood where he was told to sleep in the hallway of his apartment complex, World War II, multiple heart attacks, strange diseases and was always the first person in my world to lift me out of harms way. Even if it was just our phone conversations, always ending with “I love you… MORE!!” Whoever could yell the loudest would win, even though I was normally passed to my Nana after he got a good shout in.

His funeral was the hardest thing I have ever experienced and my heart still aches when I hear someone say ‘superman.’ He was my superman.

The day my plane landed back in New York, after the never ending plane ride from Florida where I had the last glimpse of my handsome grandfather, my best friend Katie called me, “You have to come over, before you go home, just come to my house.” Reluctantly I did. All that I wanted to do was throw my luggage and weep in my bed, but I went. Katie opened the door and brought me into the kitchen where my closest friends were sitting around the table, with salads, pasta, fruits and vegetables. I stood there and sobbed as they all, Katie, Kaylin, Jenn, Kim, Gillian, Jamie and Audrey, took turns allowing my tears to soak their shirts. It was a feast that filled my whole body with a rejuvenated feeling.

It was the first time the whole year that I knew everything was going to be alright. I had my friends, I may have lost my hero, but I had friends that would be there through everything, anything and the hardest times with me. We sat at Katie’s table for about two and a half hours, listening to the wonderful mix CD they had all made me, eating all of my favorite dishes, and talking. They let me get out everything that I needed someone outside of the tragedy to hear. It was the relief that only friends can bring someone. They weren’t listening to me talk about him to forget, they were helping me keep his memory alive.