Anthony - Tallahassee, Florida
Themes: hope

In July of 1993 I was hit by a car while riding my motorcycle the next thing I knew it was 3 weeks later and I was in the ICU ward in the hospital. I had visits from family and friends everyday weather I was awake or sleeping. I had a trake in my throat so I could not speak but my family and friends all learned to read my lips and understand my gestures. I spent the next 1 1/2 weeks in the ICU before I was sent down to a ward with other accident victims to recover before I went home. In that ward I got sick and since I was healing up well I didn’t have as many visitors. Being sick and not being able to talk to the other people sharing the room with me I grew very depressed and just wanted to die. Until the day my father saved my soul. It was just another day with my dad, mom and sister visiting my mother and sister left the room for a reason I cannot remember. I’m not sure if it was my mom or my dad who brought the walkman to see if music could get me out of my depression but I didn’t want it. So my dad just sat in one of the chairs listening to the walkman. He just moved to the music, if you knew my dad then you would know he can look pretty silly when he is moving to music he is not use to. Watching him be silly ripped laughter out of my depressed soul I hadn’t known was there. With that laughter came tears of joy the simple joy of a boy laughing at his silly father. I loved my father before that day and I still do. I have never told him how that silliness pulled me back from a very deep abyss. Since 1994 I have been driving a tow truck and using my dad as my example I try to make the people whose lives I come in contact with better with simple humor. I have had many of my customers forget that they had an accident or that their car has broken down and just enjoy a good laugh. I believe that laughter heals mind, body, and soul I know this first hand I am here because of one mans silliness thank you dad.