Maricela - Chino CA 91710, California
Themes: equality

This I believe

I believe that everyone should be equal. In today’s world there is a lot of racism. It’s always Whites vs. Blacks, White vs. Mexicans, or Mexicans vs. Blacks. The way I see it is that everyone is the same. We were all created equal. There are young kids, gang bangers, that is, that are getting shot, just because of there race. It’s really sad.

I’ve notice that there are some members in everyone’s family that are racist one way or another, including mine. There are a couple of people that are racist in my family, and I don’t understand why. It shouldn’t really matter what color you are. We are all equal. For example: In my family I have an uncle that is Black and I’m Mexican. If anything I really look up to him. I see him as my role model. I mean he may not be the best example, but see that’s why I learn from his mistakes. He cares a lot about our family and would do anything for us. The way I see it is that he does so much just to see us smile or just to see us happy. My uncle has been through so much more then you can imagine. He has been in a war, “The Desert Storm”. He’s lived a rough childhood. When he was younger he lived in the “ghetto”, in Baltimore, with his foster parents. Then he went to the military. That’s why I think that’s one of the reasons why I admire him so much. Another example may be, that one day my mom was picking me up from my friends house and we had our little conversation going on, and I was telling her about all the drama at school. Then she tells me that “ see Maricela that’s why you shouldn’t get involved with Mexicans, because all Mexicans are comadres, which is gossipers.” I looked at her and I told her “ you know what mom, you can’t really point the finger at just the Mexicans. Every race is the same, whether they are White, Black, Asian, or Hispanic. We are all the same and we are all to blame for. So you can’t really point the finger at just us Mexicans. Every race has there own gossipers, but not everyone is like that. There are some people that think to them selves and say, that doesn’t pertain to me so why should I be involved”. My mom then agreed with me.

If you take the time to really think and realize how much someone goes through in life, it kind of gives you a different out look on life. I mean all races go through tough times, we all suffer in one way or another. I believe that we should love each other as if they were our own race. I believe that we are all equal.