Jessica - Chino, California
Themes: death, family, love

I believe that you don’t always get what you deserve. My aunt was one of the sweetest people I have ever known. She has overcome many obstacles and challenges in her life. During her years in the U.S. she lived with my grandparents and my family in a house in Rowland Heights. The house that we all shared was usually the “party house”. Every birthday and special holiday was celebrated with the family at that house. So you could imagine how crowded that house would be with all of the family hanging out together. Wouldn’t you think that would be crowded? Well to some people it didn’t seem crowded at all.

One day after school my parents had pulled me aside to talk to me. We were in our computer room and I knew that something was wrong. They said they talked to my aunt and grandparents about a change that was being made. My uncle and his family would be moving in with us. I was okay with it, but then they said I would have to give up my toy room so that my cousins could have a room to sleep in. So now there were twelve people living in a one story, four bedrooms, two-bathroom house. I was okay with this because I could have someone who would play with me now and help me with my homework. Well as time went on, it wasn’t a party anymore.

About three years later, my parents told me that we would be moving out of the house and go on our own. They hadn’t told me the reason, but I think I knew what it was. As we went our separate ways, my aunt had told me that if I needed anything, I could call her and she would bring it to me. When she told me this I broke into tears because I realized that I would not be with her everyday. So everyone had moved out and you would think things would be better right? Wrong. While eating dinner we get a phone call and it is one of my cousins saying that something was wrong at my aunt’s house. Well my dad had called there and my uncle’s wife answered with an attitude. My dad asked to speak to my aunt, and when he did, she gave him a lecture and stared accusing my dad of yelling at her. So my dad hung up and told my mom and my cousin to go pick up my aunt and grandparents. So when they arrived, my cousin called and told my dad that my aunt had cuts on her knees and they were bruising. Just trying to ignore everything, my cousin and mom just got my aunt and grandparents and left. So they stayed at our house for a while until they had to go back to their normal routine.

Probably a month after that incident, we got even worse new. My aunt had gotten cancer in her lungs. My grandparents and she moved in with my other uncle and stayed there for a while. One night my aunt woke up and told my grandmother that she couldn’t breathe and she had my cousin call 911. So the following morning we visited her in the hospital and I didn’t want to go into her room. I was so scared that I was in the hallway crying in the arms of my dad. I finally went in and I saw her just lying there helpless with all of those tubes in her. It broke my heart to know that a person like her could go through this. After we prayed, I went up to her and said into her ear “ I will never forget you”. I said that because I admire her and she inspired me to be a better person. A few days later she passed away and ever since I keep her in my thoughts. I do believe that people don’t always get what they deserve because if that was true, my aunt would still be here with me.