Heather - Owosso, Michigan
Themes: death, love

Say it Now or Never

Have you ever heard the saying, “Tell them today, for tomorrow might be too late?” Not a day goes by that I don’t forget that saying. It is something that has changed me and all of the relationships I have created. One day about three years ago I learned that this saying could affect me emotionally forever.

Early in the morning on July 15, 2001 I talked to my best friend Josh. Josh and I were discussing our plans for later on that night. Josh called me to see if I was going to a bonfire at my cousin’s house. I told him I wasn’t going to be able to go because I had a softball game. Since I wasn’t going to the bonfire Josh changed his plans and decided to go to our friend Derek’s house that night. After we were done discussing our plans we told each other goodbye and let each other go.

About five o’clock I arrived at the softball fields to start warming up for my softball game. At five-thirty my softball game started. During the 5th inning the weirdest thing happened; a helicopter flew over the softball diamond. This was not a usual occurrence, but I shrugged it off. That night we ended up winning our game 15- 12. After our game I went home and went to bed.

When I woke up in the morning I already had three messages on my answering machine. They all said it was important and to call them back. One of the people who called me was my cousin. I called my cousin Shay as soon as I heard her message. When I called Shay I found out that the helicopter we had seen fly over the softball diamond the night before was transporting my best friend to the hospital. I found out Josh had been injured by a truck while stopped at a stop sign on his dirt bike. When I asked my cousin about Josh’s condition, I was informed that he had passed away. In an instant my best friend was gone and I was on the ground in tears.

One thing I always look back and dwell on is when my friend Josh said, “Heather, you’ll always be my friend.” That’s the last thing he said to me before we left school for summer break. On thing I will always regret is not telling him that I liked him. Wait, I didn’t like him, I loved him. He was my best friend and always will be deep down in my heart. After this incident I believe it is important, that if you have a friend that was as great as mine you should tell him or her how you feel. Why you might ask? Well as shown here tomorrow just might be too late. So let all of your friends know that you love them and that you care, because they might not be around tomorrow to hear it.