Chrystal - Owosso, Michigan
Themes: family, purpose

Broken but Alive

“Don’t worry Michelle. You can’t get hurt on a snowmobile.” This is what my brother said to my mom right before their snowmobile ride on the night he broke his ankle. Only a few hours after he made that statement, Russ was badly injured in a snowmobile accident.

I love my brother dearly, but truthfully he can be a real idiot sometimes. The accident happened around three years ago while Russ and my parents were out riding snowmobiles with some friends. Russ never was very careful about anything, and that night he was fishtailing down a dirt road when the snowmobile caught a patch of dirt. After rolling three times in the air, the snowmobile landed on his ankle.

The accident completely shattered his ankle. It was really bad and he had to have surgery. The doctors put in a plate and three pins to hold it together. Even though the accident and injury were really bad, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. After he had been released from the hospital, Russ got a phone call to come back in immediately. When he got there he found out that his blood sugar was high on a test that the hospital ran. Now our family knows that he is diabetic and he has to take insulin shots every day.

That day Russ walked into the hospital with a blood sugar of over 800. The doctors told him that at around 400 he should have been in a coma and at around 600 he should have died. Finding out that he wasn’t far from dying even though he seemed fine was a real shock to everyone.

We’re not really sure how long Russ was diabetic before the hospital caught it, but if he hadn’t broken his ankle in that accident he would have died. I believe that God works in mysterious ways. Sometimes people don’t understand why He lets things happen to them, but He has a good plan for us and everything that happens for a reason.

To this day I will never forget those words that he said to my mom before they left. She had been complaining because my step dad wouldn’t wear his helmet and she wanted him to be safe. Russ told her that you couldn’t get hurt on a snowmobile and only proved himself wrong. Everyone in my family wears their helmets without complaining now, and sometimes I wonder if the accident wasn’t only caused to help my brother find out about his diabetes, but to help the whole family realize that my mom may seem overly cautious, but she cares and you CAN get hurt.