Stephanie - Nashville, Michigan
Themes: forgiveness

What’s so hard about it?

Forgiveness, you would think that this is a word that means life or death for some people. They think that if they forgive somebody then it’s the end of the world because, somebody did something and they deserve what comes to them because of it.

I have gone through this experience before and let me tell you it was not easy. You learn as you are going through it though that it is the best thing to do no matter what it takes to get there.

It all happened about five years ago. It was hunting season and my neighbors had always gone out hunting so, that wasn’t anything different. I had a dog named BJ you loved to be outdoors and was such a people person. He would try to go everywhere with anybody. Well my neighbor Mike had gone out that morning and BJ had wanted outside so, I got up and let him out.

When I woke up I went outside to let BJ in and he was no where to be found. I searched everywhere for him. I called all my neighbors and asked if they had seen him anywhere. They all said no but; they would keep watch for him. Once Mike got in I called him to see if he had seen BJ when he was out in the woods and he hadn’t.

Weeks had gone by and no BJ yet. I was beginning to just give up when the phone rang it was Mike and he said that we needed to talk. Come to find out he had seen BJ when he was out hunting and didn’t know it was him and shot him on an accident. When I heard that news I was furious I wanted nothing to do with him.

Eventually I was feeling bad about not wanting to talk to Mike anymore. I knew that it was an accident what had happened and decided to forgive him for what he has done. That was the hardest thing to do but, I knew it was the right thing to do. So, that is just what I did and now to this day we are still friends.

I just want all of you to keep this in mind the next time you are in a situation where you need to forgive someone for there mistake, just remember that it might be hard but it’s not worth losing a friend or a loved one over it. You need to be the bigger one and just let them know that you didn’t appreciate it but, that you will always be friend to them as long as they live. Forgiveness is the key to a great friendship. I believe in forgiveness. Therefore I have gained lots of friendships and worked through many things throughout my life.