Brian - temperance, MI 48182, Michigan

Sometimes, the most insignificant things in life can bring about the greatest changes. It was not until my freshman year of high school until I truly realized what passion and dedication meant. One day, I was shopping at a flea market, casually picking up and fiddling with the electric guitars on the walls. I remember the salesman eyeing me like a lion tracking the scent of it’s next meal, then slowly stalking over to my position on the floor. I couldn’t resist a deal on a beautiful guitar, so I went home with my first musical instrument ever.

I had not been that big a fan of music prior to this moment. Sure, music was okay, but I never appreciated every individual note, every melody, every harmony buried beneath each song on the radio. As my fingers plucked the steel strings of my guitar for the first time, it was sheer bliss. For the first time in my life, I was creating something no one had ever played before; it was my own experience, a very personal creation. As hours went on, my haphazard strumming began to sound more and more like music. It was at this moment that I realized music could change lives.

I believe each and every person can be touched by music, whether they realize it or not. A simple song can mean the world to one person, but nothing to the next. Music has the power to transform us in our times of need. When you feel weak, it can give you the strength and determination to carry on, and when you feel angry, it can calm your mind. The secret to unlocking this experience is unique to everyone. Every note of every song can be interpreted differently, so it’s impossible to say exactly how it can affect every single person.

People need to learn to appreciate all types of music for what they are. While some styles may sound like meaningless noise to some, they may be the most mind-blowing works of art ever put into song by another. Music has taught me the true meaning of passion and dedication and what a difference they can make when applied to a hobby. If only everyone would learn to dig beneath the surface of the obvious meanings of songs, then perhaps we could all truly appreciate this art form.