Please Return Your Shopping Cart

Kyle - Oceanside, California

Themes: golden rule

We have all gone to the super market or the behemoth wholesale warehouse. Especially for the latter, you will find yourself grabbing a shopping cart so you may more easily transport your necessities. When you return to your vehicle you unload and most likely park your empty shopping cart on the nearest curb, or heroically leave it between two cars hoping it doesn’t shift out of place. Maybe you’re so courageous that you swiftly push and release the cart and watch it careen out of sight. Regardless of the reason, we have all committed this parking lot crime at one point in time. In the world of unionized warehouse labor, I believe that it is pretty much a cardinal sin not to return your shopping cart to a designated area.

I have violated the unspoken evils of the lot. I was too lazy to go twenty feet. But now that the tables have turned I am able to understand how infuriating it can be. In my situation I sometimes just want to wear a gigantic sign telling people that they should return the shopping cart and then reality strikes: They probably wouldn’t do it anyways. I have no personal connection to the individual, so why should he care? There are times when I want to drop my vest and leave. The consumer seems so ignorant to my existence. Sure it may seem easy, but pushing seventy pound carts will take its toll on the body.

It’s terrible to be pushing carts and see an individual ten feet away push a cart off to the side without a care in the world. It’s even worse to see somebody leave a cart several feet from a designated area out of sheer laziness. You couldn’t take the few extra seconds to do it right? The laziness contrasted with the manual labor doesn’t make sense. In fact, it feels more like a smack in the face — a reasonable job turned upside down.

The “lot crew” works hard to ensure there is a cart for everybody. To those who return your cart, bravo! I wish to shake your hand. Make that two-way inclusive trip and show your appreciation for having an available cart. In the end you will be rewarded with a happy and grateful crew who’s more than willing to offer help and care.