Kelly - Stockton, California

Books have always shaped the way that humans think and interact with each other. They have set standards and made the uncommon colloquial. Books in my life, however, have made a much more profound impact on me and my process of thinking. They have shaped not only the ideas and opinions that surround me, but my very being. Books prompt me to formulate my own opinions; to make decisions and overcome obstacles that I never before dreamed possible. Not only do they make me more knowledgeable, but they have made me into the person that I am proud to be today. So there is no one life-defining event, no epiphany that led me to my beliefs, but a maze of different ideas, fantasies, and lives (real and not), that have led me to this point in my life- this point where I can stand up tall and tell everyone exactly what I believe, and I can make it funny, too.

There are so many countless things that books have taught me: vengeance is never a solution; that anger and greed are double-edged swords; that love transcends anything physical, including life; life includes sacrifice for a reason; and that life would be overwhelming of you could not laugh at yourself, and realize, that, in the scheme of things, you will never truly comprehend the universe, and that you should just stop trying. But the one thing that I have learned, that is always and simply true, the one thing that carries me through every difficult time, is the fact that everyone is here for a reason. Every time your existence seems pointless, every time you walk through your tedious day-to-day routine in your dead-end job- you are making a difference. To someone, somewhere, you a making their life a little bit easier.

It seems impossible, but the endless and mindless chaos of life practically proves it. All human lives intersect at some point. Whether these paths cross remarkably or discreetly, they do. It seems strange that people gather for funerals. People that barely knew the deceased feel the need to come to these. This is because something inside of you, deep down, knows that that death came so close to taking someone else, someone who could have been you. People are drawn to deaths, as they are drawn to births, because life is just a wheel, a cycle, with beginnings and ends and ups and downs. Horribly deep down, the spirit knows that our lives are so close, that even though there are six billion people inhabiting this earth, that “Strangers…are just family you have yet to come to know,” (Albom, 49).

Works Cited

Albom , Mitch . The Five People You Meet in Heaven . first . New York : Hyperion , 2003