Cindy - Chino, California

This I Believe…

I believe no book should be judged by its cover and the same goes for human beings. When I was in second grade I thought that the world revolved around me. I was what some people would call the popular one in the class. Of course I had my little clique that went wherever I went. It’s hard to admit that we were the snobby ones but we were. We were the girls that made you feel bad about yourself on a daily basis. One day, all of that changed for me when we had a new student and she happened to be a girl. Right away all my friends started criticizing her from the clothes she was wearing to the way she had her hair done. I could only sit there and smile, I didn’t want to be out of the little club that I had started, so I didn’t say anything to them. For about a week she was pretty much a loner and I felt bad but I just didn’t have the guts to stand up for what I believed in. One day the taunting got so bad that they had made her cry and that was when I snapped. I pushed everyone away and led her out of the circle that had been built around her.

After school I asked her for her phone number, she was a little hesitant to give it to me but she finally agreed and we just started talking. To my big surprise we had a lot of things in common. Next thing I know I’m only hanging out with her because I “backstabbed” my friends, but I was fine with the way things worked out. I was actually comfortable enough to be happy. With my new friend I didn’t have to pretend to be anybody because she accepted me. She helped me realize what kind of person I should and wanted to be. Who would have thought that the girl with the messy hair would become one of my best friends to this day. That was back in second grade and the decision that I made still influences the way that I live my life today. That is why you should never judge a book by its cover; it could just be the best book you have ever read.